So How Did That Work Out For You CBS?

Monday, March 26, 2007



Not to pile on here, and go into overkill on the whole Gus Johnson thing, but did anyone stay awake during JB and Elmore's games this weekend? They made an 8 point Florida/Oregon game feel like shuffle board at my grandmother's retirement home. Here are a couple of notes.....

  1. From RUTS......"Len Elmore is awfully fond of the phrase "penetrate and kick". Seriously, in the two games I saw them do....I heard that probably 40 times. I understand that coming up with new terms is hard, but give it a shot Lenny.
  2. From Grimey.....By the way, I think about the possibility of Gus Johnson calling this game, and I cry on the inside. Tell me about it.
  3. From Grimey.....JB already tried to say that Butler's Eric Green was Sidney Green's kid (it's Taurean Green from Florida). Ugh.
  4. Calling a game with a voice devoid of any emotion should not be allowed ever. In the history of Announcers have the great ones ever not been excited at some point? (See: Marv Albert)
  5. Great post from Quick Slants on JB and Elmore slowing down the earth's rotation.
If you actually enjoyed them on any broadcast please let me know. Personally, I thought they were awful. I know JB had it in his contract to do these games, but couldn't you have waited until he did more than 1 game in the regular season?

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 12:13 PM

7 Comments:

I just saw you on the blog show on Mr. Irrelevant's site! Great stuff!

SAMO said...
Mar 26, 2007, 12:35:00 PM  

I happen to like Elmore and JB. Listen, I watch the games because of the games. I don't need the announcers trying to be LOUDER/BIGGER than the game.

I would shoot myself in the head if I had to listen to Bill Raftery get excited over a free throw over and over. It's one thing to get excited but if you do it over and over, pretty soon, it's just noise.

Mar 26, 2007, 12:52:00 PM  

The Brown-Elmore tandem might be slightly worse than the Jim Durham-John Franco duo that ESPN Radio trotted out during the MLB Playoffs a year or two ago. Until this weekend, I didn't think it could ever get any worse.

And a side note... did anyone keep track of how many times Jay Bilas said "ball screen" this weekend? He absolutely LOVES that term.

Anonymous said...
Mar 26, 2007, 12:55:00 PM  

God, they were laughably bad, especially when Len Elmore started talking about players using their "ample hips" and JB asking if Len was talking about him.

Anyone else notice how much in the tank for UNC Billy Packer was?

Signal to Noise said...
Mar 26, 2007, 1:54:00 PM  

I spent the pre-game of UF-Oregon trying to figure out if JB was standing on some phone books so they could get him and Len (who is eye-to-eye with Al Horford) in the same shot.

I agree with Quick Slants... JB and Len's lack of enthusiasm when Oregon wouldn't go away in the last minute was frustrating. When Oregon hit that three to make it a four-point game, JB reacted as if he just woke up.

Grimey said...
Mar 26, 2007, 2:45:00 PM  

My favorite JB/Len moment of the tournament was during the IU/UCLA game. Somebody on IU (DJ White, I think) made a nice pass leading to a score, leading JB to say something like, "See, that's the kind of thing that doesn't show up in the stats." After a brief pause, Len, almost under his breath, followed with, "Except maybe as an assist."

Anonymous said...
Mar 27, 2007, 5:27:00 AM  

What about when James Brown referred to Malik Hairston's 'nice package down low' in the florida-Oregon game

Anonymous said...
Mar 28, 2007, 1:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment