Live Blog Big XII- Baylor v. Missouri

Thursday, March 08, 2007



So you've voted me into the 4th Opening Round Game of the Big XII Tournament. Are you happy? Actually I am.....I get to see two teams I haven't really watched this year. While it would be nice if one of the teams was going into the Tourney (I guess 18-11 Mizzou has a 1% chance).........I'm going to have fun with it anyway(s). I can always just harp on the announcers right?

So meet me here at 9pm and be ready to comment.

Small Preview:

Missouri looks to have an outside shot at the Tournament. A win against Baylor would match them up against Texas. 3 wins would put them to 21, and give them a chance.

Baylor is still trying to turn the program around following the murder of Patrick Dennehy by teammate Carlton Dotson in 2003. They've beat Texas Tech, Nebraska, and OK State in conference play with the Cowboy win coming in the last game of the season.

Leading Scorers:

Baylor- Curtis Jerrells, 14.3 ppg
Mizzou- Stefon Hannah, 15.6 ppg

The Live-Blog is after the jump starting at 9pm.

Oklahoma and Texas Tech won earlier and it looks like Oklahoma State is going to knock off Nebraska.

A little FYI....if you can juggle two games Extrapolater is doing the Wake-GT game at Digital Headbutt. Ex is doing a little two-timing, but I'll let it slide this time.

Matt Damon said... Good thing we didn't choose the Duke-NC State game to live blog. That game is a snoozer.

MATT DAMON!!! Whoa. Love your work. Lucky for you Matt ESPN 2 is preempting my game for the overtime.....so I'm going to live-blog it! Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

70-70.....5 minutes left.

Since we're doing the "star" thing. Kevin Costner with the hoop and harm and NCSU goes up 3. Costner has 26 and a roll in Field of Dreams 2. Paulus gets through the Southern Oracle with no contest and makes a layup (anyone who gets that reference gets a free post)

OH MY GOD! McRoberts just threw it down!

"Here comes the engine I'm full of steam"

I'm now a good 40 seconds behind cause I rewound? that about 7 times. If he played like that all the time he may be a good player.

79-76 NCSU

"There's another look at a man-slam", What exactly is a "man-slam"?

NC State is up 4 with 43.4 to go. They're going to the line as well. Atsur hits both and the lead is six. Sidney Lowe and his awesome red suit are barking orders. Pocius hits a two and gets fouled, and that was the last thing State wanted to do. FT good. Lead is 3....36 secs.

Grant is fouled and he's only 2-4 on the night. The first is good, second off. McRoberts fouled on the other end, and he can cut it to two with 12.8 left. He hits one and Lance Thomas alllllmost tipped it in. State to the line.

Costner hits points 29 and 30, and that's another upset for you.
______________________________________

Onto the Baylor/Mizzou game! Let's do this!!! The game time has been conveniently moved to 9:30, so we've got a few minutes.

That McRoberts dunk will be up in about 20 minutes.

Damn. I completely ignored the Louisville-WVU game. 2OTs and Louisville is up 9 under a minute to go. I hate you people....I hate you.

WastingCompanyTime6 said...why are they showing this stupid between games show instead of the Big 12 game??

Whoa Big XII fans!!!! The game isn't underway....it was already pushed back from the earlier game. Who's ready for some "Past Midnight Big XII Bukkake" (that term might be trademarked somewhere....not sure.)

Just now realized that I could have done the Stanford-USC game. No one really cared about that one right? I can always switch (please let me switch!)

9:38- We're finally live for the Phillips 66 Big XII Tournament. I've gathered that Fran Fraschilla is involved....not sure who the lead is yet.

Baylor gets the tip and misses an early layup. Brown cuts to the basket on the other end and he gets to the line.

1-0 Mizzou.....great game so far.

Bruce hits a three for Baylor....(just for your reference Baylor is in black and the Tigers are in white)

Mizzou evens it at 5, and the "40 minutes of hell is upon us"!!!! Sounds like an Iron Maiden song. Baylor's offense spreads out almost to halfcourt.

7-5 Baylor at the under 16 timeout.

Ronny Franklin is our lead, and my personal favorite Franklin quote is, "So here's the situation". He says it after every timeout.

Lou P. said... Just heard: "So there's a timeout" -- one of Ron Franklin's favorites (usually heard with college football.)

Good call Lou. Anyone else have something for Announcer Show and Tell.

13-11 Baylor, and I like the pace of this game. I'm obviously rooting for the Bears in this one. 13 minutes left in the half. Bruce (the little white guy) looks good early. Fran compares him to Steve Nash....ummm yeah.

Three for Hannah....speaking of which....the first girl I ever asked out was named Hannah. It was 4th grade, and she said yes. I asked her out again in Middle School when she became a whore, and she said no. Ahhhh such is life.

18-16 at the under twelve...Bears up.

Matt Damon said... Mike Anderson calls it "The Fastest 40 Minutes of Basketball". I don't think it's quite as hardcore as Arkansas' 40 Minutes of Hell was, probably because Anderson doesn't have "his guys" yet.

Forty Minutes of Hell is trademarked. Matt Damon owes Nolan Richardson $50.

I haven't been paying all that much attention, but this game is pretty high scoring. Let's see if we can reach the 168 from the Big Sky last night. Who's got the over?

We're under 10....22 all.

Missouri had a small lead, but Bruuuuuuce made a sick no look to a Bear for the jumper. I'm liking this Bruce kid. Baylor is playing surprisingly good defense for a team that was 4-12 in the conference. Jerrells has 4 for the Bears and they go up two. That's until Mizzou answers at the other end....And 1.

Under 8 timeout....24-24

stocker323 said... It's impossible for me to not root for a team with someone named Tweety on it.

Excellent point, but I'm the opposite. Tweety is from Louisiana, and that is such a thug name. I'm not going to pull against him because the 'Nolia might seek me out.

WastingCompanyTime6 said...apropos of nothing... did anyone else notice that there were 4 ACC tournament games today and the only one ESPN televised was the one involving Duke? I'm sure that was just a coincidence

Yeah, ESPN has a deal with the Big East to show all of their games. But of course they get one....hmmm which team was that again?

30-30 under 5 mins.

Dugat hits a jumper and Baylor is up 4. Talk about balanced scoring....8,8,6,6,3,2,1 from the Bears.

37-30 all of a sudden as Dugat hits a three and the Bears are looking strong. Up 9 now. 3 to go.

Under 4 Timeout....it's 39-30 Baylor.

2:56 left in the half....Baylor has the ball. AMAZING INBOUNDS PASS! Missouri was pressing and the Bears just sent Jerrells down the sideline for the dunk. Mizzou was lost.

Jerrells hits again and the lead is 13. A steal and Dugat converts the two. Baylor is hyped! Up 15 with 1:40 to go.

Happy Birthday Yvonne!

Missouri finally stops the bleeding with a three, and Baylor turns it over. Hannah gets a steal and is fouled on the play. He'll head to the line with the chance to cut it to 10.

Jerrells nails a three at the buzzer and it's 48-35 Bears at the half. I still think Missouri will pull this one out.
_______________________________________

Second half is underway and Mizzou immediately cuts it to 8 (Don't say I didn't tell you so).

Lead down to 6 now, but Carter pushes it back to nine for the Bears.

And in no less than 3 minutes the lead is down to 4....can someone say "ball game"?

Under 16....55-50 Bears. It's a close one yet again. See I plan these things as halftime blowouts, and then reel you back in during the second half.

Sorry for the delay....I'm trying to put together the McRoberts video. 10 point lead for Baylor as they've weathered the storm. 14 mins to go.

Baylor pushes it to 12. Dugat has 18 now.

Missouri is just sliding on ice right about now. Everytime they hit a two Baylor answers with a three. To tell you the truth....I've remembered Fran Fraschilla being awfully annoying in the past. He's great this game. I think he's done his homework.

Ha! Nolan Richardson is in the crowd! The night has come full circle.

Under 12 timeout and the score is 68-56 Baylor

We're at about 9 minutes and I'm starting to feel the effects of your punishment. This game is dragging. A three from Baylor makes it a 15 point game, and there's a Mizzou timeout.

Ronny notes that Baylor is shooting a better percentage from three than from two. Interesting.....that's always a disaster for an opponent.

Baylor lead is to 16 with 7:35 to go. This one looks to be in the bag for the Bears. The only thing that's keeping me here is the 9-0 Tigers run to start the 2nd half.

So Baylor goes on to play Texas and then they'd get the winner of OK St. and Texas A&M. I'm not trying to call upsets here, but I think we've found ourselves a Cinderella Jimmy Dykes.

15 point lead still....5 to go.

save the steagles said...FSU is moving on! Even if ESPN choose to ignore that game I will take whatever fake foul endings I can get. Is it true you aren't allowed to dance with the other sex if you attend Baylor?

I thought that was the way it was at Miami-Ohio? Or that was just when Big Ben went there???

One More Dying Quail said... I think we need some "bonus coverage" of Stanford-USC.

Where we're you twenty minutes ago OMDQ?!?!?! Huh???? Answer me that. (Thanks!)
___________________________________

We're in OT USC leads Stanford by two with 3 to go. Great charge taken by Stanford and Marques Johnson appears to be in true form.

71-68 3:03 Left. USC leads.

Stanford misses a three, and then commits a silly foul on the other end. Lawrence Hill who took the charge on the previous play is done for the night. Gibson from USC misses the first and hits the second, and the lead is three.

Fields from Stanford picks up a great offensive rebound and Washington cuts the lead to 1.

Another cheap foul on Stanford and Nick Young goes to the line. He picks up both and has 24 points on the night.

1:38 to go.....74-71 Cardinal

One of the twins....Brook Lopez I think....follows his own miss with a ridiculous jam.

"Misses the shot and just like a jack rabbit slams it in"

74-73 USC and they've got the ball. 1:10 to go.

Great exchange as USC hits an easy two...gets a steal....and follows with another two. USC has their biggest lead of the night. Rodderick Stewart is a quick little fellow.

Holy Crap....I think I just saw my Song Girl!!!!! Please baby Please do something seductive so I can make another top 10 list (more on that tomorrow)

79-73 21.7 left....Trojans

WE ARE! SC!

One More Dying Quail said...Twenty minutes ago I was faithfully reading your live-blog and watching Baylor-Missouri. Then I realized that I could, in fact, change the channel.

OMDQ....You Complete Me.

Nick Young is a star that we should be aware come tourney time. He puts up 28 and USC wins it 83-79. I'm not sure what the spread was, but I'm pretty sure it was ruined with that meaningless three from Stanford at the buzzer.

Baylor wins the Big XII contest 87-83, and I will forever hold this night against every one of you bastards....and bastardettes.


Posted by Awful Announcing- at 8:11 PM

17 Comments:

I have not seen Baylor play at all, but Missouri plays a version of forty minutes of hell, so they are fun to watch. I hate them with every fiber of my being, but I'm enough of a basketball fan to know that they're on the right track to turn that program around.

Baylor.... I don't know when or how they'll recover from that horrible murder coverup under Dave Bliss. I feel rather sorry for them, honestly.

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Mar 8, 2007, 8:55:00 PM  

Good thing we didn't choose the Duke-NC State game to live blog. That game is a snoozer.

Anonymous said...
Mar 8, 2007, 9:02:00 PM  

Aaron Bruce needs a new barber.

Anonymous said...
Mar 8, 2007, 9:26:00 PM  

why are they showing this stupid between games show instead of the Big 12 game??

WCT said...
Mar 8, 2007, 9:32:00 PM  

ah Ron Franklin. I actually like Ron Franklin, but ESPN has buried him

WCT said...
Mar 8, 2007, 9:38:00 PM  

Just heard: "So there's a timeout" -- one of Ron Franklin's favorites (usually heard with college football.)

Agreed with wasting; ESPN's burial of Ron Franklin is inexplicable, particularly in calling gridiron action, where he really excels.

Anonymous said...
Mar 8, 2007, 9:46:00 PM  

Mike Anderson calls it "The Fastest 40 Minutes of Basketball". I don't think it's quite as hardcore as Arkansas' 40 Minutes of Hell was, probably because Anderson doesn't have "his guys" yet.

Anonymous said...
Mar 8, 2007, 9:52:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
Mar 8, 2007, 10:03:00 PM  

It's impossible for me to not root for a team with someone named Tweety on it

Unknown said...
Mar 8, 2007, 10:03:00 PM  

apropos of nothing... did anyone else notice that there were 4 ACC tournament games today and the only one ESPN televised was the one involving Duke? I'm sure that was just a coincidence

WCT said...
Mar 8, 2007, 10:06:00 PM  

I'll never two-time you again, AA. I think we're both taking our lumps tonight. I almost fell asleep over at my game, with a clock controversy (nothing says ACC action like watching the clock operator scratch his head and poke buttons), and a dearth of scoring.

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Mar 8, 2007, 10:54:00 PM  

FSU is moving on! Even if ESPN choose to ignore that game I will take whatever fake foul endings I can get. Is it true you aren't allowed to dance with the other sex if you attend Baylor?

Mar 8, 2007, 11:22:00 PM  

I think we need some "bonus coverage" of Stanford-USC.

Mar 8, 2007, 11:28:00 PM  

One of the announcers just said, "This game's just for men."

What does that mean?

Mar 8, 2007, 11:30:00 PM  

Is this the same PBP guy that does Angels games? Sounds similar.

Unknown said...
Mar 8, 2007, 11:36:00 PM  

Twenty minutes ago I was faithfully reading your live-blog and watching Baylor-Missouri.

Then I realized that I could, in fact, change the channel.

Mar 8, 2007, 11:36:00 PM  

"Just For Men"... Isn't that the name of a hair dye for dudes?

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Mar 9, 2007, 1:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment