CBS' March Madness Announcing Schedule(s)

Tuesday, March 13, 2007



I lied....one more post. CBS released their Announcing Teams for the first Round of games. To read the release you need the damn spinny decoder from the Da Vinci code, but here's what I came up with.

Thursday:

Kevin Harlan/Bob Wenzel- MD/Davidson, Butler/ODU, Duke/VCU, and PITT/Wright St.
Dick Enberg/Jay Bilas- BC/Texas Tech, G'Town/Belmont, Marq/Mich St., and UNC/East Kent.
Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner- L'ville/Stan, Texas A&M/PENN, OSU./CC St., and BYU/Xavier
James Brown/Len Elmore- Wash St/Oral Rob, Vandy/GW, UCLA/Weber St, and Indiana/Gonzaga

Friday:

Tim Brando/Mike Giminski- UVA/Albany, Tenn/LBState, VT/Illinois, and S.Ill/Holy Cross
Jim Nantz/Billy Packer- UNLV/GT, Wisc/Texas A&M CC, Kansas/Play-in, and Kent/Nova
Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery- Memphis/N.Texas, Nev/Creighton, AZ/Pur, and Flor/JackSt
Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel- ND/Winthrop, Oregon/Miami-OH, Tex/New Mex St, Ark/USC

There you have it. I hope you lucked out in the Announcer lottery. The pairs will stay with the same teams they've covered only to give way to the crapfest of Nantz/Packer. The teams I'm liking: Enberg/Bilas, Johnson/Bonner, and Lundquist/Raftery.

If you care to try and check my work....hit read more for the whole Press Release.

UPDATE: Show Stopper points out a glaring omission on my part in the comments. He's exactly correct....Brown/Elmore is a great team....possibly even the best.


CBS Sports' exclusive live coverage of the 2007 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship begins with first round action on Thursday, March 15 and Friday, March 16 (12:00 Noon-5:00 PM, ET, and 7:00 PM-12:00 AM, ET, both days) and concludes on Monday, April 2 with the national championship game (9:00 PM, ET-conclusion).

Greg Gumbel, Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis host THE ROAD TO THE FINAL FOUR® from the CBS Broadcast Center in New York City. Eric Mann serves as Senior Producer and Bob Matina directs.

CSTV will air two out-of-market games of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship in their entirety. On Thursday, March 15, Vanderbilt plays George Washington and on Friday, March 16, Virginia takes on Albany. Both games will be broadcast locally on CBS.

All 2007 NCAA Tournament games will be broadcast in high definition television where available.

Tony Petitti is Executive Vice President and Executive Producer, CBS Sports.

Following are the tip times of first- and second-round games, as well as the announce and production team assignments for CBS Sports’ 26th consecutive year on THE ROAD TO THE FINAL FOUR.

Check out CBS Sports' complete college basketball schedule

THURSDAY AFTERNOON, MARCH 15 (12:00 Noon-5:00 PM, ET)

Tip (ET), Site, Game, Play-by-Play/Analyst, Producer/Director
12:20 PM, Buffalo I, Maryland vs. Davidson, Kevin Harlan/Bob Wenzel, Vic Frank/Chris Svendsen
12:25 PM, Winston-Salem I, BC vs. Texas Tech, Dick Enberg/Jay Bilas, Bob Mansbach/Mike Arnold
12:40 PM, Lexington I, Louisville vs. Stanford, Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner, Craig Silver/Andy Goldberg
2:40 PM, Sacramento I, Wash. St. vs. Oral Roberts James Brown/Len Elmore, Steve Scheer/Mark Grant/Jim Cornell
after conc. I, Buffalo II, Butler vs. Old Dominion, Harlan/Wenzel, Frank/Svendsen
after conc. I, Winston-Salem II, Georgetown vs. Belmont, Enberg/Bilas, Mansbach/Arnold
after conc. I, Lexington II, Texas A&M vs. Penn, Johnson/Bonner, Silver/Goldberg
after conc. I, Sacramento II, Vanderbilt vs. GW, Brown/Elmore, Scheer/Grant/Cornell
Also broadcast on CSTV
THURSDAY EVENING, MARCH 15 (7:00 PM-12:00 AM, ET)
(announce and production teams same as day games)

Tip (ET), Site, Game
7:10 PM, Buffalo III, Duke vs. Virginia Commonwealth
7:10 PM, Lexington III, Ohio State vs. Central Connecticut State
7:20 PM, Winston-Salem III, Marquette vs. Michigan State
7:25 PM, Sacramento III, UCLA vs. Weber State
after conc. III, Buffalo IV, Pittsburgh vs. Wright State
after conc. III, Lexington IV, BYU vs. Xavier
after conc. III, Winston Salem IV, North Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky
after conc. III Sacramento IV, Indiana vs. Gonzaga
FRIDAY AFTERNOON, MARCH 16 (12:00 Noon-5:00 PM, ET)

Tip (ET), Site, Game, Play-by-Play/Analyst, Producer/Director
12:15 PM, Columbus I, Virginia vs. Albany, Tim Brando/Mike Gminski, Ken Mack/Cathy Barreto
12:25 PM, Chicago I, UNLV vs. Georgia Tech, Jim Nantz/Billy Packerm, Bob Dekas/Bob Fishman
12:30 PM, New Orleans I, Memphis vs. North Texas, Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery Mark Wolff/Suzanne Smith
2:35 PM, Spokane I, Notre Dame vs. Winthrop, Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel, Ross Schneiderman/Steve Karasik/Bryan Lilley
after conc. I, Columbus II, Tenn. vs. Long Beach State, Brando/Gminski, Mack/Barreto
after conc. I, Chicago II, Wisconsin vs. Texas A&M CC, Nantz/Packer, Dekas/Fishman
after conc. I, New Orleans II, Nevada vs. Creighton Lundquist/Raftery, Wolff/Smith
after conc. I, Spokane II, Oregon vs. Miami (Ohio), Eagle/Spanarkel, Schneiderman/Karasik/Lilley
FRIDAY EVENING, MARCH 16 (7:00 PM-12:00 AM, ET)
(announce and production teams same as day games)

Tip (ET), Site, Game
7:10 PM, Columbus III, Virginia Tech vs. Illinois
7:10 PM, Chicago III, Kansas vs. Florida A&M/Niagara
7:20 PM, New Orleans III, Arizona vs. Purdue
7:25 PM, Spokane III, Texas vs. New Mexico State
after conc. III, Columbus IV, Southern Illinois vs. Holy Cross
after conc. III, Chicago IV, Kentucky vs. Villanova
after conc. III, New Orleans IV, Florida vs. Jackson State
after conc. III, Spokane IV, Arkansas vs. USC
SATURDAY, MARCH 17 (1:00-10:00 PM, ET)
(announce and production teams same as Thursday)

Tip (ET), Site, Game
1:10 PM, Lexington I, Ohio State/Central Connecticut State vs. BYU/Xavier
3:20 PM, Buffalo I, Maryland/Davidson vs. Butler/Old Dominion
after conc. I, Lexington II, Texas A&M/Pennsylvania vs. Louisville/Stanford
after conc. I, Buffalo II, Duke/Virginia Commonwealth vs. Pittsburgh/Wright State
5:50 PM, Winston-Salem I, Georgetown/Belmont vs. Boston College/Texas Tech
5:55 PM, Sacramento I, Washington State/Oral Roberts vs. Vanderbilt/George Washington
after conc. I, Winston-Salem II, North Carolina/Eastern Kentucky vs. Marquette/Michigan State
after conc. I, Sacramento II, Indiana/Gonzaga vs. UCLA/Weber State
SUNDAY, MARCH 18 (12:00 Noon-7:00 PM, ET)
(announce and production teams same as Friday)

Tip (ET), Site, Game
12:10 PM, Columbus I, Virginia/Albany vs. Tennessee/Long Beach State
2:15 PM, New Orleans I, Memphis/North Texas vs. Nevada/Creighton
after conc. I, Columbus II, Illinois/Virginia Tech vs. Southern Illinois/Holy Cross
2:36 PM, Chicago I, UNLV/Georgia Tech vs. Wisconsin/Texas A&M Corpus Christi
2:50 PM, Spokane I, Oregon/Miami (Ohio) vs. Norte Dame/Winthrop
after conc. I, New Orleans II, Florida/Jackson State vs. Arizona/Purdue
after conc. I, Chicago II, Kansas/Florida A&M/Niagara vs. Kentucky/Villanova
after conc. I, Spokane II, Texas/New Mexico State vs. Arkansas/USC

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 12:18 PM

7 Comments:

I think that Brown/Elmore will get the nod for one of the regional finals. Guaranteed that was a part of JB's contract coming over from Fox. I like Elmore, he is one of the few color analysts with no schtick and gives you some real life experiences.

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2007, 12:36:00 PM  

Brown and Elmore are my favorites too, although I'm happy Enberg and Bilas got Marquette/MSU.

Signal to Noise said...
Mar 13, 2007, 2:11:00 PM  

Brown over Gus Johnson? Are you kidding me? CBS is doing Gus a disgrace by replacing his normal regional seminfinal/finals duties with James Brown.

I agree Packer and Nantz blow, it should be Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery announcing the Final Four. After watching this video, you might find yourself agreeing with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmY-BXzMc5g

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2007, 9:10:00 PM  

Dude, I love this blog, but your romance with Gus Johnson is just sooo misguided. We he started he had so much potential, but when he gets excited, it sounds more like he's trying to give an everlasting annoucning moment a la "Do you believe in miracles?". Things like that just happen naturally, but he trys to unnaturally turn ever the slightest bit of excitement into the next magical moment. It then becomes more about him and not about the game. When the game is exciting, we as humans don't need to be beat over the head. We get the idea. We can see it. That's why I like the more subdued guys, they let the game speak for itself. Gus would be better off on radio. It did wonders for Brent Musberger.

Anonymous said...
Mar 16, 2007, 12:13:00 PM  

As predicted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/03/16/2007-03-16_gus_forced_to_bow_out_to_brown-1.html

As soon as I saw the pairings, I knew that Gus got the shaft. Elmore and Bilas have contracts to do the Regionals, so when the put JB with Elmore, that was all she wrote

Anonymous said...
Mar 16, 2007, 3:07:00 PM  

Brown and Elmore are by far the worst. Brown sounds like a high school announcer's demo tape, and Elmore sounds like he has dementia. CBS's best teams are, in order:

1. Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner
2. Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery
3. Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel
4. Kevin Harlan/Bob Wenzel
5. Dick Enberg/Jay Bilas
6. Tim Brando/Mike Gminski
7. Jim Nantz/Billy Packer
8. Brown/Elmore

How do we have the worst two crews announcing what are supposed to be the best games of the year? Only at CBS. Honestly, if I'm Sean McManus, I fire J.B., his football hosting is not worth the pain his basketball annoucing causes.

Anonymous said...
Mar 19, 2007, 10:31:00 PM  

BILL RAFTERY IS A HUGE PIECE OF SHIT AND NEEDS TO DIE NOW

Anonymous said...
Mar 17, 2008, 6:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment