Umm....Merrill......Seriously, Give it up already.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

This Merrill Hoge thing had me chuckling at first. It was the beginning of the season and Vince Young hadn't done anything yet. It was the perfect time to be a skeptic about Young and pile on. But now? Now you're just sounding like a stubborn ass.

Sure the Titans run the ball. Travis Henry gets 70-90 yards in the first half....1 TD, and they're still down 10 points. They head into the second half and they get down 13. Head into the 4th and the lead is back down to 10......all of a sudden Vince is playing like a madman. The lead is three.....but crap there's only 3 minutes left. The defense finally wakes up and gets a stop. 2 minute drill time.....the Titans are trying for the tie. Umm, no they're not....Vince drives them down the field with a combo of runs and passes. Titans win.

Just think for a second if Fisher hadn't started the season with drunk-ass Kerry Collins under center. The Titans could be the fourth seed in the playoffs. Vince reminds me of two players actually.....the first is obvious.....John Elway. The second is a crossover of sports. Up until now there was one player that teams were terrified to face at the end of games. He is so clutch that people have solely kept track of his stats and late inning heroics. Well that one player is David Ortiz.










If I'm a defensive coordinator I do NOT want to face Vince during a two-minute drill. Your defense is tired, they are playing a pseudo prevent defense, and you're scared. You're scared to death. Hell, just ask the Texans' Richard Smith, the Giants' Tim Lewis, the Jags' Mike Smith, the Bills' Perry Fewell, the Colts' Ron Meeks, the Skins' Gregg Williams, and the Eagles' Jim Johnson.

Forget the mechanics, forget the players on the team, and forget the coaches....Vince Young does it on his own. He wills one of the crappiest teams to win. He doesn't have the defense that Elway had and he doesn't have the protection in the lineup that Ortiz has.

Look....Merrill....Buddy. I understand you want to "stick to your guns". But occasionally you're just wrong (see AA- Jemele Hill. I wouldn't say I like her, but she's not as bad is I originally pegged). While I may be wrong occasionally (rarely)......if I'm ever THAT wrong, I will admit it. But no one is ever this blatantly wrong. It's one thing to peg a rookie as a flash in the pan, but after he's proven you wrong over, and over, and over, and over again.....just give it up. Every other ESPN talking head does so and no one remembers (I wish this wasn't the case).

I think One More Dying Quail sums it up best by saying this.

"Whoever ultimately wins, one thing should certainly happen at ESPN: someone should take Merrill Hoge aside, tell him to stop letting whatever personal issues he has with Vince Young cloud his judgment, then teach him how to construct a reasonable argument."
I agree, either admit you are wrong, or just move the hell on Merrill. Check out the video collection below.



5 Comments:

AA - You just made my day. Titans and Red Sox in one post. I think I love you.

BoSox Siobhan said...
Dec 27, 2006, 10:28:00 AM  

I'm a tried-and-true Longhorns fan, but I am a little sick of the VY adulation. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but I am sick of the "Greatest [blank] Ever" "Most [blank] Ever" crap that ESPN has now injected into everyone across the sports landscape.

I remember the same things being said about Vick, and guess what, they both get shut down by the same thing: quick lateral defenses (like Philly, Chicago, J'Ville) or complex defensive schemes (NE, Baltimore). Yes, VY has convinced them they can win, but let's not pretend he's God's Gift to Football.

Let's wait a couple of years and see what happens.

Anonymous said...
Dec 27, 2006, 11:31:00 AM  

Wow, I never thought of using the Big Papi comparison. It's true though.

I was at the Bills game last weekend, and when Vince ran for that 4th and 2 36 yard touchdown run at the end of the half, you could almost feel the life being drained from the stadium. It's similar to the way that Papi just crushes peoples hopes when he comes to the plate with a walkoff possibility.

In fact, I think Keith Bulluck called Vince's run for the OT win against the Texans as a "walk off touchdown".

And again, Merril Hoge can lick my balls.

Tman said...
Dec 27, 2006, 11:39:00 AM  

Gosh, I think I even like Salisbury more than Hoge. What a waste of TV time.

twins15 said...
Dec 27, 2006, 3:24:00 PM  

Hoge is such a jerkoff. I can only assume that the head injuries have had a lingering effect. I expect his brain to further deteriorate to the point where he is stumbling around the NFL Live set in a plaid bathrobe and drinking warm Coffeemate.

Scrappled said...
Dec 27, 2006, 3:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment