Trade D(r)eadline

Monday, July 31, 2006

Well it's 4:20pm and it doesn't look like Alfonso has been traded. It appears that the only deal that could have gotten it done was Garza from the Twins. Needless to say....I'm stoked. I think Bowden does have a link to this site.....maybe not.

Either way, I'm going back to RFK for their first home game back from a roadtrip August 8th, and I invite anyone in the area (or not) to join me in the Upperdeck. I'll have more on this later, but I want everyone to see how much better (and fun!) the rest of the summer will be with Soriano in DC.....whether we got someone for him or not.

P.S.- I think we crashed Rotoworld as well, which is impressive.

More from the hype machine that is the trade deadline:

  • Julio Lugo to the Dodgers for IF-OF Joel Guzman and minor league OF Sergio Pedroza
  • Greg Maddux is a Dodger pending league approval for Cesar Izturis.
  • Twins are now offering Garza according to Baseball Prospectus for Soriano.
  • Scott Linebrink is headed to the Mets for newly acquired Oliver Perez.
  • Craig Wilson goes to the Yanks for Shawn Chacon. (Interesting)
  • Mets might part with Lastings Milledge for Schmidt or Oswalt
  • Tejada isn't going anywhere because Fuher Angelos turned down every reasonable offer.
  • Atlanta tried to trade Andruw Jones to Chicago for Brandon McCarthy, which was immediately turned down. The Red Sox are in the mix as well, but are trying not to part with Lester.
So here is what's going on right now......as much as I can figure out because of my new vow not to go to ESPN.com (which is going pretty well thanks to Rotoworld.com)

1) The only deals left on the table for Soriano seem to be one National League team and one American League team. My guesses are the Dodgers and the Twins, and unless the Twins decide to give up Matt Garza it's not happening.

2) The Mets are close to landing Oliver Perez from the Pirates, which would be a huge trade for them. They wouldn't have a large contract from a Livan Hernandez, and Perez is a stud when he gets his act together.
***UPDATE***- SI.com is reporting that the deal is Xavier Nady straight up for O. Perez (Hilton). If this is the case Dave Littlefield should be fired and banned from ever entered the city of Pittsburgh again.

3) Todd Walker is going to the Padres, and Boston is talking to Julio Lugo about hammering down an extension before a trade.

***UPDATE***
4) ESPN had Kip Wells almost packed and in Boston (this according to Rotoworld...I'm resisting the urge to stop by the World Wide Leader), but he ends up in Texas. Boston misses out again.

And Lastly, this from Rotoworld.com on Brad Lidge that made me giggle......

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that a team calling the Astros this morning regarding Brad Lidge was told the closer wouldn't be traded.

Interesting. Also, ESPN's John Kruk is reporting that Minute Maid Park will institute a 50-cent price hike on both beer and hot dogs next year. Hurry back, Peter.


Thanks Krukster.....you've always got the breaking news.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 3:15 PM

6 Comments:

I was thinking the Twins may try to package some Lohse/Baker deal for Soriano, but that got shot to hell earlier...

I agree with you, and I'm not seeing Terry Ryan give up Garza for a half season from Soriano...

Jul 31, 2006, 3:35:00 PM  

Fred wants to go to the Aug. 8 game to give Soriano an ovation, so we may join you in the upper deck...

DCSportsChick said...
Jul 31, 2006, 8:46:00 PM  

I'm just as happy not to give up Garza as I was not to give up Liriano last year. Hopefully that'll work out just as well. Heh.

Ryan was just on-air saying a GM called him about an hour before deadline offering a lopsided deal (in the Twins favor) - he apparently came to his senses when Ryan called him back. Sadly, no names were named.

Anonymous said...
Jul 31, 2006, 9:48:00 PM  

My man and I are somewhat at odds on whether the Dodgers made the right moves or not.

...Aw hell, I'm still mad they traded Paul Lo Duca.

Nyssa23 said...
Aug 1, 2006, 12:28:00 AM  

I am extremely pleased the Twins decided to hold on to Garza. He's been studly at all levels this year, and Soriano for half a year, as good as he is, is not worth Garza. So I commend Terry Ryan for not making that deal.

twins15 said...
Aug 2, 2006, 12:47:00 AM  

Please continue to avoid ESPN.com. If you never do anything else in life, you'll have contributed a lot.

susan said...
Nov 8, 2006, 12:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment